Friday, February 4, 2011

The Gospel in the Classroom










"Buenas Días clase. Siéntense en un círculo, por favor.”

As my spanish class slowly moved our desks into a circle, I had no reason to believe that today’s class would be any different than any other. We were going to be discussing a play that we were assigned to read about a group of puppets that were placed in a room and randomly chosen by “la niña de muerte” (the girl of death) to die via explosion. (I know, it sounds a little messed up)
Anyways, the professor randomly called on students to answer the questions about the story. When she called my name, I realized that the question I was about to answer was the question concerning the depiction of “god” in the story. The god in the play was portrayed as blind and unable to help the puppets in regard to life and death. So I answered the question of how the puppets perceived god, and was then asked my opinion of god in the real world.

My pulse instantly tripled.

I don’t know how it happened, (or how my Spanish was good enough to explain such a concept in a different language), but obviously I had a little help. *Thanks Holy Spirit… you’re the man.
I proceeded to explain how the true God was alive and not blind at all, but a happy, loving God who is very much involved in our lives.

The professor then posed the statement: So then God must control death? We all still die. So then God is bad.

I quickly responded: No, God is good. He gives us the choice to believe in Him and His Son, and if we do then we don’t die. We die from this world, but we will never die because we will live with Him in heaven for eternity!

After that she changed the subject… It may not seem very extravagant, and it may not seem like much.. but it’s a seed. A seed of Truth that was planted in the hearts of my classmates as well as my professor.

Jesus… Thank you for courage. And the opportunity to speak the Gospel in a classroom! Never in a million years would I have thought it wouldn’t be in English… haha

He.Is.Faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment